Purple Hands: Print + eBook + Audiobook set
Purple Hands: Print + eBook + Audiobook set
Purple Hands: A Kiwi Nurse-Midwife’s Response in Times of Crisis.
Print book + eBooks + Audiobook set
By Barbara Walker QSO
Narrator: NZer Elisabeth Easther
You are buying:
A 206 page softcover book, ISBN: 9781988572420
- A zipped file containing eBook editions of this 206 page book in PDF, ePub and Mobi formats. (2020)
ISBNs: Mobi 9781988572437; ePub 9781988572444; PDF 9781988572451, and
- A large 511mb zipped file containing a set of CD quality MP3 audio files. ISBN 9781988572819.
We will, within 24 hours, manually email you links to download the .Zip files when you complete your purchase.
Our usual postage charges also apply.
• • •
What is life like for aid workers who gather from around the world to serve refugees who have fled their homes due to famine, political unrest, and disasters?
Kiwi nurse-midwife, Barbara Walker – who spent 20 years working for international aid agencies – shares her dramatic, heart-warming, and inspiring stories of the situations she faced and the people she sought to help.
From the Sakeo One Refugee Camp in Thailand, where she cared for those fleeing Pol Pot’s regime in Cambodia in a make-shift bamboo-framed field hospital, to her last placement in Mozambique that ended due to a death threat, Barbara’s Christian faith gave her strength and kept her focussed.
We also learn of Barbara’s early life in New Zealand, and her later call to ordained ministry as a chaplain when she returned after serving overseas.
Barbara hopes that her story will inspire and encourage all who read it to think outside the square and seek to make a difference in the world in which we all live.
Post COVID-19, we all have a chance to move forward, working together to address the inequalities which she has seen around the world and here in her country of Aotearoa New Zealand. We cannot make changes alone, but by listening, sharing, building trust, and working in partnership, we can make a difference for all. It’s up to us all.
Praise for Purple Hands
“You are in for a riveting read. Expect to laugh a lot and maybe cry a bit. Barbara, one of my former highly valued colleagues in Pakistan, is one of God’s more intrepid and dedicated servants.” Ruth Coggan MB, ChB, FRCOG, OBE, SQA
“Every now and then God sends into the world a special person, a high achiever with a great passion for demonstrating Christian work. Barbara is that person.
Barbara sometimes lived on the edge of war zones. She took her extraordinary nursing and administration skills into desperate situations around world. Her resilience, bravery and perseverance are a shining light, benefiting humanity in many different countries.”
Rosemary Holt (Fellow aid worker)
About the Author
Barbara Walker was called by God to become a missionary nurse at the early age of 13. Little did she know that she would end up working in some of the toughest places in the world over several years.
She has had a multitude of roles including nurse, midwife, eye surgeon, anaesthetist, dentist, car mechanic, vet, plumber, carpenter, health manager, and she is also an Anglican Priest.
Barbara has recently retired. She was Lead Chaplain at the Hawkes Bay Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital in Hastings, New Zealand, and a Regional Chaplain Manager for the Interchurch Council for Hospital Chaplaincy.
The Bible verse, 1 Thessalonians 5:24 “The One who calls you is faithful, and He will do it.” has remained very special for Barbara. It has given her great strength to keep going, seeking to save lives and do her best as she faced challenges and situations which were way beyond her ability to handle, including a death threat and serious illnesses.
About the Audiobook
This unabridged audiobook consists of a large 511mb zipped file containing a set of CD quality MP3 audio files.
The book was recorded and mastered by Auckland firm Audiobooks NZ.
Instructions for downloading the zipped file and extracting the MP3 files are shown at the bottom of this description.
Listen to an Audiobook sample: Chapter 11
One door closes and another opens wide
Instructions for playing downloading and listening to your audiobook.
- Purchase your copy of the audiobook using our shopping cart.
- Follow the instructions to download the Zip file containing the MP3 audio files to your computer.
- In Windows File Explorer (or the equivalent programme on your Mac) go to the folder where you downloaded the Zip file. This will usually be the Downloads folder in Windows.
- Double click on the Zip file.
- Click the Extract All icon. In the pop-up window click the Browse button. Choose the folder you want to save the MP3 audio files to. Create a new folder if you wish.
- Then click the Extract button at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- The folder you extracted the MP3 files to will now appear.
- To listen to the audiobook on your computer, select all 44 MP3 files. Then move your mouse pointer to hover over the first MP3 file: Ch_00_- Intro… .
- Then right click your mouse. In the pop-up window click on the programme you want to use to listen to the audiobook with (e.g. Windows Media Player).
- The Intro should now start playing, followed by Chapter 1 and the remaining chapters in sequence.
Take these steps to listen to the audiobook on your mobile (or other device):
- Take steps 1 to7 above. Then, using File Explorer, go to the folder you extracted your MP3 files to. Select all the files. Then right click with your mouse and choose Copy from the pop-up window. The MP3 files are now in your clipboard.
- Connect the mobile/device to your computer with a USB cable, and log into/open the device.
- Using File Explorer click on the folder on your mobile/device where you want to save the MP3 files to. Create a new folder if you wish and click on that folder.
- Paste the MP3 files into the folder on your mobile/device.
- Open the music/audio player on your mobile/device and navigate to the folder you saved the MP3 files to.
- Select the first file Ch_00_- Intro… and press play. The first file should now play, followed by the remaining chapters in sequence.